Wednesday, November 7, 2007

One Year and Why We Wait...



One year ago today our dossier was logged into the system at the China Center of Adoption Affairs in Beijing, China. I remember receiving the call later in the month notifying us that we actually had "The Date" and thinking what a relief it was to finally be waiting on our daughter instead of a piece of paper. I also remember thinking how far away November 8, 2007 seemed and tried to imagine how wonderful it would feel reaching the one year mark knowing that within the next couple of months we would see our daughters face. Today is very bittersweet for us in that we are thrilled to have reached this HUGE milestone yet we have so many more months to go that it almost feels like this is really no big deal at all.
We have been asked countless times lately why we are still aboard this slow boat to China. We have been asked, "How long will you wait?", "Why don't you switch countries?", "Don't you just want to give up?" and many others. It is hard to go into detail at Walmart or other public places what our feelings are towards adoption and our Ruthie but since this is my blog, I can do it here!
We, as a family, felt called by God to adopt a baby girl from China. We feel this call as strongly as someone who is called into full-time ministry or foreign missions or a certain profession or any call that God places on someone's heart. We honestly feel that there is a little girl in China who probably isn't born yet that God is creating or has created especially for our family. She is ours and we are hers. I think that most people mean well but I also think that it is hard to understand adoption if the passion, desire and call haven't been placed on your heart. We have two precious sons that we would die for, that we would've waited a lifetime for, that we would never give up on and Ruthie is no different. Just because she isn't biologically ours doesn't make her any less our daughter.
Here are a few reasons why we continue to wait for Ruthie.....

She has a home with her very own room that has a (very unorganized) closet with lots of pretty pink clothes and beautiful ladybug bedding waiting to keep her warm....



















She has LOTS of bows waiting to accessorize her hair....









She has a dog named Jackson that is waiting to give her sloppy kisses.....











She has a kitty named Tiger that is waiting to teach her the fine art of cat napping...









She has a brother named Anderson that loves her and is waiting to push her on the swings and teach her to play baseball....











She has a brother named Jon Milledge who loves her and is waiting to jump on the trampoline with her and teach her all about sports....











She has a Mommy who loves her and is waiting to teach her to shop, to cook and to have great tea parties.....









She has a Daddy who loves her and is waiting to rock her to sleep and to be wrapped around her finger......











She has a family that loves her and is waiting for her to come home because until she does, we will not be complete.....








But most of all she has a Heavenly Father who loves her so much that he knitted her together in her mothers womb all while preparing a family on the other side of the world to love her as their own....and we do. Thankfully, He is walking beside us reminding us daily that He called us to adopt, that He is in control and that through Him all things are possible.


There you have it.....we are waiting because we feel we have no other choice. It is like one of our children is missing and we won't be at peace until she is home. How long will we wait? As long as it takes. Why don't we switch countries? Because Ruthie is in China. Do we ever just want to give up? Not a chance!

Do not be afraid, for I am with you. I will bring your daughters from the east and gather you from the west.~Isaiah 43:5

19 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful post! So well said. You are correct, only fellow adoptive families can undertand your love for Ruthie.

I love the pictures with the sign. Your daughter will be blessed to finally be united with her family.

Congrats on this milestone! Praying for a speed up.

Leslie said...

This is a beautiful post for Ruthie to read one day. Happy 1 year wait, but sorry for the long wait as well. Praying for Ruthie to come home very soon.

prechrswife said...

Okay, Angie...Now you've made me all teary first thing in the morning... What a precious post! Just think, you've got a whole year behind you in this very long wait.

mandt said...

Congratulations on this huge milestone! Don't let other people get you down. One day Ruthie will be home.

Unknown said...

Thanks for making me cry so early in the morning..This was beautiful. Thanks for putting this into words

Melinda said...

What a wonderful post and so true! Happy 1 year LID! I pray that Ruthie is home soon and the wait becomes a distant memory!

Ashley said...

Happy 1 year!! Such a beautiful post, and so much love waiting for ruthie!!
Ashley

Gail said...

What a wonderful post Angie. You made me cry reading it. You "get it" as for all the reasons why we are on this journey. Congratulations. Ruthie WILL be in your arms some day. :) Gail

Kelly said...

Angie, Truly a beautiful post and so creative! I'm so Blessed to share this milestone with you and can't wait until we are in China together uniting with our daughters!! Until then, we'll keep each other strong :) Kelly

Anonymous said...

Happy 1 year! that was the best blog yet! i love and i am praying for you and Ruthie! you are so right that God has called you to adopt a baby from China and that is what you are doing.... you are following his will! I LOVE U!

Heather said...

Oh what a beautiful post!!

C'mon Ruthie - we are all praying for you, girl!

I remember our one year, never thought we'd get to a year, we were told 8-9 months when we went DTC, looking back, it went fast:) During, wellll...you know.

Always thinking of you and hoping for speed!

Love,
Heather

Rosie said...

Oh Angie ...what a wonderful post!! I am so happy that our families can share this journey together and have a special day for us both...we keep each other going no matter what..we'll have our ups and downs in the next few years..but it will be worth it in the end and the bond us bloggers have created will last a lifetime.
HUGS from LID Buddy who lives on a little Island called England!!

Laura said...

Angie, this is one of the most beautiful posts I've ever read. I'm in tears. Congratulations on reaching the one year mark. Yes, we'll wait as long as it takes. Although I get discouraged, I do believe in my heart that Amanda is in China and she's mine!

Anonymous said...

How beautifully written!!! You do not need to wait 3+ years for your daughter though. There is a speical needs program in China that goes muich faster. A lot of people have misconceptions about it saying, "oh, that's good for some people, but I don't think we could handle special needs." I am not saying you do think those things - but it is a very valid option that I strongly suggest you look into. The children often have very minor problems, that are easily fixed, who need a loving home. Ask your agency for more information, and just think, your Ruthie could be waiting for you!

Lisa

Donna said...

Angie, that is the sweetest post and explains perfectly why you are on this journey, wait time or no wait time. Ruthie will come to be, in God's timing and you will look back on this time and smile. Congrats on making it the first year, that IS a big accomplishment!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

That was so beautiful!!!! It made me cry!

A Mom- In-W8ing said...

What a beautiful post, it brought tears to my eyes! Your feelings ring true in my heart as well. Congratulations on making it to this milestone!!

Smiles! :o)
Nikki

Pamela Askew said...

Angie,
Wonderful post ~ I couldn't have said it better than that and I can really relate to your thoughts. This journey truly is a call. Praying you will be united with Ruthie sooner than later... but not a moment before God's time.

Waiting patiently with you,
Pam

Lisa said...

What a wonderful and sweet post! We will get our daughters in God's perfect timing! I'm with you we will never give up!