In my last post, I mentioned that we had a low country boil during Memorial Day weekend. I wasn't even thinking about this being a VERY southern meal and some people might not know what in the world I was talking about. Actually, when I was looking for a recipe, I found out that a boil is a Georgia and South Carolina coast thing. Interesting! Heather asked what it is so I thought I would share a recipe I found that is just like ours. The only thing that we add that isn't mentioned here is 2-3 onions quartered.
A low country boil feeds a lot of people and is great for big family get togethers. Several years ago my cousin got married in Savannah and we had a boil for her rehearsal dinner. So fun!! Some people bring the huge pot of food to the tables which are covered in newspaper and just pour the food onto the table. Personally, I prefer mine to be in a bowl! ;) Enjoy!
INGREDIENTS
Old Bay Seasoning TM to taste
5 pounds new potatoes
3 (16 ounce) packages cooked kielbasa sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
8 ears fresh corn, husks and silks removed
4 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
newspapers
DIRECTIONS
Heat a large pot of water over an outdoor cooker, or medium-high heat indoors. Add Old Bay Seasoning to taste, and bring to a boil. Add potatoes, and sausage, and cook for about 10 minutes. Add the corn; cook for another 5 minutes, then add the shrimp when everything else is almost done, and cook for another 3 or 4 minutes.
Drain off the water, and pour the contents out onto a picnic table covered with newspaper. Grab a paper plate and enjoy!

6 comments:
Yum!
Girl, that is my kind o' meal!! I am a noreaster southern belle!Thanks so much for posting on this. You are such a sweetie.
Love you!
Heather
O'My Word. When we come down for a visit, this is going to have to be on the menu...LOL. I'm always learning something from my great friend Angie.
Also, I'm going to have to meet litle Anna Claire. She is such a stinker.
Yummy. I lived in North Carolina for 5 years, (the Wilmington area)and we had low country boils too. Add a nice glass of sweet tea and it's heavenly. I'd love to live in the south again someday. Such warm, friendly people. :)
Chet has introduced me to the Low Country Boil. In Louisiana we have shrimp boils, which are basically the same thing without the sausage.
I live in Savannah and came across your blog from another blog and YOUR low country boil caught my eye! LOL Lots of people here also throw in onions. It varies these days. They are fun!!!! Some people here will even add crab legs! LOL I will be back to visit your blog!
Post a Comment